Pork Loin with Gravy
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Melt 2 tbs butter in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in 1/2 teaspoon each of black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, dry mustard powder, and garlic. Cook and stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- With a sharp knife, make several small slits in the pork roast. Place the roast into a roasting pan, and spread the spice mixture all over the roast and in the incisions. Surround the roast with 1 stalk celery, 2 # baby carrots, and 1 sliced yellow onion, and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the pork roast is browned and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the center of the roast reads at least 150 degrees F , about 2 hours. About 15 minutes before the end of cooking, turn the oven temperature up to 425 to help brown the roast.
- Remove pork roast from oven, and allow to stand for about 10 minutes before slicing. Check temperature again; roast temperature should be at least 160 degrees F (75 degrees C) before serving.
- While roast is resting, place the roasting pan containing vegetables and pan drippings over a stove burner set to medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and simmer the drippings and flour for about 3 minutes to remove raw taste from flour. Whisk in the pork stock, a little at a time, until the gravy is thickened. Strain the gravy, and serve with the roast.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large sauce pan, melt 3 tablespoon butter over low heat. Stir in 3 tablespoon flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add 2cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Using either 6 Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peel the skin then slice into thin ovals.
- Finely dice one yellow onion.
- In a baking pan, layer the potatoes, cover with onions and bachemel sauce and bake 30-40 minutes, until tender.
Black eye peas
- Rinse and sort 1# black eye peas.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 pound pickled pork, 1 diced green bell pepper, 3 diced stalks of celery, 1 diced yellow onion, 4 cloves garlic and 1 tablespoon tomato paste. Saute 15 minutes.
- Add 5 cups water and 5 cups chicken stock, 2 bay leaves and black eye peas. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 1.5 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add salt/pepper/hot sauce to taste.
- Serve over hot rice, garnish with chopped green onion.
- In a large pot cook 1# sliced bacon. Remove and drain, reserving the fat.
- Add 1 diced yellow onion into the fat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and drained bacon and sauce for 5-10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.